It's more than just you. Discussing real issues and ways you can do your part right here in Boston.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Veterans Day!



This Thursday is a very special day for two reasons.

1. It's my BIRTHDAY!! :) (I am finally turning 20. Took me long enough)

2. More importantly, November 11 is Veterans Day.

Maybe you are asking your self: Why is Veterans Day important? The answer is simple: Why isn't Veterans Day important?

It's not just a day on the calendar, but a day to remember, and be reminded of just how important our freedom is. Veterans Day is about all the brave men and women who keep our freedoms alive and strong. It's not about wars, past or present, or our opinions on them. Many soldiers may have the same opinion as many other citizens, but they serve, fight, and sometimes die, regardless of their political opinions.Veterans sacrificed their lives so you and I didn't have to. They answered the call so you and I could be free. This is such a brave and noble thing, and Veterans Day reminds us of this.




How can you show your support?

Know a veteran? Chances are someone in your family or someone you know has fought for our country. Call them and let them know you appreciate them.


In Boston, Vetrans Day will be celebrated in lots of different ways. Come out and show your support.

Gold Star families will join military and political leaders in Memorial Hall at the Statehouse on Thursday morning for the state's annual Veterans Day ceremony.


City of Boston Veterans Day Parade will start on the corner of Charles and Beacon Street and wind up at City Hall Plaza.

In other parts of MA:


The town of Middleborough will hold it's annual American Flag retirement ceremony.
Springfield Technical Community College is currently hosting an art show through Friday, Nov. 19 featuring works by veterans.


Another way to show your support is through Operation Gratitude.


*Write letters to veterans thanking them for all they did for our country. It may be long overdue-- but veterans will appreciate your kind words. You can also write to currently deployed service men, who are fighting as we speak for our freedom. Letters can make a big difference.


Look at this response from a veteran who received a handwritten letter:


"When I opened your envelope today and read your letter and the 3 others you have sent me, I was profoundly moved.  Through the years since I returned home, I have had people, from time to time, thank me for my service.  But this is the first time I have received letters sent from the heart by people who have no idea who I am.  Only the fact that I served.  With each one I read, I could feel the emotions welling up inside and when I finished the last one, I was filled to bursting with pride, love for my country, and love for my people.  Please accept my thanks for your thoughtfulness and caring.  I never thought letters like this could have such an effect.  You have given me a gift I will carry in my heart always. Sincerely, RM2 P.R. USCG"
Thank you Veterans and soldiers currently fighting for our country! We greatly appreciate you--not just on November 11, but every day of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment