It's more than just you. Discussing real issues and ways you can do your part right here in Boston.

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Leukemia & Lymphoma Society: Light the Night Walk



One of my best friends, Carolina, whom I met my freshman year of college, has been through a lot. In her junior year of high school, Carolina lost her father to a long battle of leukemia. While I was worrying about the college application process, prom and other mundane things in high school, Carolina was moving schools to be able to be closer to her hospitalized father, helping take care of her little brother during a tough transition and dealing with a loss of a very special person in her life. Carolina and her family's world was turned up-slide down by leukemia. Even though I never met her father, from the stories and pictures, I know he was a great man who loved and cared for his family more than anything in the world.



In memory of Robert Ciccia (Carolina's father), Carolina, Carolina's brother, a few friends and myself participated in the Light the Night Leukemia & Lymphoma Society at Boston Common last year. For the 2009 walk, we were able to raise close to $800 dollars in support of the foundation, which is dedicated to funding blood cancer research and improving the lives of patients and their families who are affected by blood cancer. The event was a lot of fun. We had a banner with our team name, we received t-shirts, a balloon with a glow stick insert and free food. It was cold, but we were warmed knowing we were helping families whose lives had been touched by leukemia, lymphoma and other blood cancers. We knew walking Light The Night walk wouldn't bring Robert back, but we knew by raising funds and walking in support of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, we were helping support families, cancer research and towards the development of a cure.


Next week, Carolina, Carolina's brother and I, along with a few friends, will be participating in the Light the Night Walk again. This year we have already raised over $2,000. Most of our fundraising stemmed from Robert and Carolina hosting a social event and her little brother, Nano, selling teddy bears to his classmates at school. Our goal is to reach $2,500 dollars and we couldn't be more close. I can't wait to be back at Boston Common, walking side by side friends, all coming together for a great cause.

October 14 is the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light the Night Walk around Boston Common. I encourage you to register, join an existing team, create your own team, or make a donation in support of all families whose lives have been affected by cancer.

To donate to Team Ciccia, visit Team Ciccia's donation page.
To create your own team or register for Light the Night walk, visit here.


Your support would mean more than you know.


The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Mission Video...



About the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society:
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research, education and patient services. LLS's mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. Since the first funding in 1954, LLS has awarded more than $680 million in research funding.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great blog! Leukemia is a terrible disease and I'm glad that there are people like you and your team raising awareness and funds. I'll be thinking of you this weekend while you are walking.

    Renee Bruno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Very passionate blog. Nicely done. I like the strong visuals.

    The formatting of your "about me" section is difficult to read. Also, can you find a way to quickly communicate the essence of your blog to a new reader?

    Lastly: Next challenge is to generate engagement and conversation.

    SQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhod Minster is my name, I am really perplexed today, and I share this piece of good news with everyone reading. Brethren, I was diagnosed of shingles some months after I did a surgery, and I was having serious acute, painful inflammation of the nerve ganglia, with a skin eruption. It was very bad that my skin was gone, and I was almost giving up. The fact was I am very vulnerable because of my weak immune system. So this shingles really affected me. I was taking antiviral medicines after some time it got worst that I was diagnosed of post-herpetic neuralgia. And my doctor prescribed for me paracetamol and codeine which I was using but my condition was getting worst instead of getting better. Somehow, my grandson came home and said his girlfriend was cured of HSV by a herbal doctor whose name was given as Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. My grandson claimed that his girlfriend was cured by the said doctor with his herbal medicine, so he advised me to give this same herbal doctor a try. I remembered a word at that stage which says ‘there is no harm in trying’ so I decided to give this herbal doctor a try. My grandson help contacted him, and I spoke with him on the phone, and also explained to him in a message I sent to his email. So he assured me, and gave me a good hope that he will surely cure me of this ailment. So we concluded arrangement, and he prepared the herbal medicine, and shipped it to me. So I took it according to his directions. And the herbal mixture really worked for me. I was so surprise the way it worked for me, and in just two weeks, I was beginning to fully recover, and in just less than 2 months, I was fully recovered, and all my pains and inflammation are all gone. Brethren, today I am totally cured and I deem it fit to come here and let everyone know about my cure through the herbal process. Please if you are still suffering from this ailment contact the herbal doctor for your cure. His contact details are as follows Email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), phone number (+2349052015874). Wish you all quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete